Search This Blog

Friday, March 6, 2009

Consistent Inconsistencies

Only in North Carolina do we have 6 inches of snow on Monday and then 70 degree weather on Friday. Not only is our world in a financial crisis... even the weather is inconsistent. Driving to work I began evaluating all the external forces in my life and they too in fact are.... inconsistent. Work. Finances. Health. All of it. My decisions have been anything but consistent as well. Yet in this consistent cycle of inconsistency I know to whom I belong. The Creator of Consistency has a firm grip on me. Despite the incongruity that results from the disastrous decisions I make daily, I find grace. And in that grace I don't have to feel guilty to convince Him I am sorry. Guilt for my iniquties does not make me more spiritual.... it makes me unfaithful. Guilt says to Him I don't believe that He could possibly forgive and forget, and that is exactly what He does. I have been consumed by guilt since I knew what guilt was. Since I was young I've felt guilty for just about everything, no matter how big or small the issue. All the time I have spent groveling and groaning about my inconsistency He has been consistently forgiving me and supplying the grace and mercy that are so much sweeter than any amount of guilt. So in this world as we know it I can remain stable amidst the turmoil because I am rooted in the One who is consistent.

No comments: